1916 - 2006

Sankho Chaudhuri finished his diploma, specialising in sculpture from Santiniketan in 1945. While there, he studied under the sculptor-teacher Ramkinkar Baij known for his unconventional use of cement for making sculptures. Accompanying Baij on his trip to Nepal to execute a war memorial, Chaudhuri learnt Nepali metal casting. In 1949, he worked in Paris and England, visiting various cities.

Chaudhuri is best known for his simple, flowing sculptures. He has constantly experimented with material for his sculptures: using clay, terracotta, plaster and cement, stone, wood, copper, brass and aluminium. His sculptures often consist of entwined lyrical forms that create a harmonious rhythm in their balanced stances. Clear lines accentuate the form in Chaudhuri’s sculptures, a facet of his abstract works as well. In his long career, he was an active sculptor as well as a teacher. He received the Lalit Kala Akademi’s National Award in 1956 and the Padma Shri by the government of India in 1971. Some of his well-known works are Music for All India Radio in 1957, bronze statues of Mahatma Gandhi exhibited in Rio de Janeiro in 1964 and Copenhagen in 1986, and five feet high marble sculptures in 1987.